Friday, September 6, 2013

Kalli goes to college.

Hello, everyone!

First of all, I would just like to say how good it makes me feel to have so many approach me or comment saying how they liked my last post! Sometimes I don't know how honest to be on here, so it feels good to get such wonderful compliments. Thank you! I really love my little blog and I hope to still post weekly even though I am now going to be quite busy with school.

Now, onto the fun stuff!

Per request of my cousin, Jacki, I am giving you all a little run down of my first few days at UMC. Lets start at the beginning...

Haley and I had been planning all summer to drive down there together so that she could show me around and prevent me from being a complete wandering lamb. We thought we weren't going to take off til after noon on Sunday, so I went to church and adult ed thinking, "Oh, I have plenty of time before we leave." Naturally, I left my phone at home, and I had a missed call and two texts from Hales. The first said "I'm packing up my car and getting ready to leave" and the second said "Call me". In a PANIC, I ran around my room throwing stuff in a duffel bag (ya know, cause I'd only been packing for a week and I was nowhere near done yet) and when she got a hold of me, I was blubbering and  hyperventilating and bawling my eyes out; "I thought I had time to eat with my family!" She said, "How's about I come have dinner with you guys?"

She's the best, really.

HERE'S US ON THE FIRST DAY OF CLASSES. EVERYONE KNEW WHERE I WAS FROM ON MEET-YOUR-FRIEND DAY (AKA SYLLABUS DAY).
Moving in was a breeze. Actually, that's a lie - a breeze would have helped. It was SO FLIPPING HOT. I'm more than ready for that nonsense to be over. My on-campus apartment is really nice (it was built in 2010), and I get along with my roommate just fine! Isn't it silly how you worry about those things?





As always, sorry about the low-quality photos! Didn't my pillows turn out just adorable? One of these days I will write a DIY post about the pillows - and it's going to be called Stupid Easy DIY Pillows, because they are. Seriously, a monkey could make them. Or my dad. Anyways, all of you know of my unhealthy addiction to Instagram, and I discovered a handy little app called PostalPix to order my square photos from! You just download the app and upload the photos to it, provide them with your credit card info, and they mail em to you within a week, for a fairly reasonable price. I don't think I've ever spent more than $5 on an order. The pushpins are just some of those flat headed tacks with buttons from Granny glued to them, and I got the 12x12 cork board tiles from Michaels. They come in a 4-pack!

To be honest, I am absolutely kicking myself for not starting at UMC right out of high school. It is literally my home away from home. The small campus is easily comparable to a small town - you recognize almost everyone you see in the hallways, and most of the time, they say hello to you! Even if they don't know who you are! I also love that I am pretty far into my major, so I have classes with the same professors and the same students all the time (I have 4 different professors in 3 different classrooms, and I'm taking 17 credits). It's a comfort to constantly see familiar faces!

I'm also more and more sure as the more class periods I attend that I am choosing the correct career path. I have one class where we have to read 12 children's books and do little book report-like summaries on them. I get to reread all my favorite books from when I was a kid! For credit! How awesome is that?!

I threw my mom through a loop when I told her I was considering double majoring in Elementary Ed...then I told her I might even be interested in studying abroad in Greece or Norway for 3 weeks.

THEN, I said, "Yeah, I might actually stay here on a weekend."

I think she about died.

Oh, and I sent her this:


And as far as all those other wonderful non-studying college experiences I've gone through, here's what I've got so far:
- "Family" dinner nights over at Haley's with her roommates
- Death Cup (yes, it is what you are envisioning)
- Heart-to-hearts about free will and God's plan for us
- A hypnotist
- Staying up late watching NetFlix (stupid series, they get you hooked!)
- AgArama!!!!!! Kalli joins a club. (I know, unheard of.) This way I get a little bit of ag in my life...maybe I won't be so homesick?
- Going to a dance where I didn't know hardly any of the people in attendance....and actually dancing. Completely sober. This has not happened since high school, people.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers; most of you know I was pretty nervous about moving away from home the last two weeks that I was there. Now, however, I think you should generate your energy towards praying for my parents......it is my understanding that the whole house has fallen apart because I'm not there. Oh, and pray for my clothes left behind, too, as they now have to defend themselves against my little sister's fashion needs.

:)

Love,

Kalli

7 comments:

  1. Kalli, study abroad for sure! Don't even think about it, just do it. You will never, ever regret it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Megan! :) I'm seriously considering it...

      Delete
  2. Love it Kalli. Your mom was so excited about the double major and you going overseas that she read me the texts! Glad it is going so well. Love and miss you much. Text me your address!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have an address yet...haha. But I will let you know! :)

      Delete
  3. Soak it all in, Kalli! And, absolutely 100 percent study abroad. Go for at least a semester. It's the one thing I regret about college... I went for just a month and wish I would have gone for longer (a semester, a full year or even two different places)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Erin! I signed up to go to Greece for 3 weeks in May the other day :)

      Delete