Thursday, August 22, 2013

10 things I have learned during my year off from school.

With all this excitement about getting back to school going on, I have been thinking a lot about what I have learned in my year-long break from college. Here's what I've come up with:

1) I've learned that I don't want to live with my parents for the rest of my life. Or ever again, for that matter.

[Pause for laughter here.]

This one speaks for itself.

I love you, mom and dad.

2) I've learned that I don't want waitressing or bartending to be my main source of income. It was fun and I liked the quick cash, but I don't miss having to work evenings and weekends. Also, I don't care how many stains or holes it has in it, I can't bear to part with my green Caribou Grill t-shirt.

3) I've learned that it's true: farmers are the best people in the world to sit around and talk to all day...well, unless it's raining when they don't need it, blizzarding in April, or hailing in August.


VIA
4) I've learned that my relationship with God has gotten stronger because I had time made the time to attend weekly bible study. I also have gone to church on Sunday more in the past year than I ever did the years I was away at college, even when I was home on the weekends. Although it's difficult, I have gotten more comfortable with the fact that He has a plan for me and I need not worry about a thing.

5) I've learned that I hate money. I hate having too much of it, I hate having not enough of it. And I really, really hate that the world revolves around it. More on this subject later...

6) I'VE LEARNED THAT THINGS HAVE A WAY OF WORKING THEMSELVES OUT.

7) I've learned that I would rather have experiences rather than material things. In example - Gopher hockey games, Hairball concerts, and Beth Moore events. (Okay...AND I've also learned that I love my maurices credit card.)

TWO PEAS IN A POD.
8) I've learned that family is the most important thing in the world. I will never, ever regret taking time off of work to go and watch my brother's hockey team at districts, regionals, and state. I will never regret going to the lake with Granny and Grandpa, or spending Sunday afternoons playing whist with Grandpa Mel and Grandma HA. I will never regret rushing up to my sister's volleyball games smelling like a french fry in my waitressing clothes. I will miss get-togethers with my ever-growing extended family more than you can possibly imagine, especially putting on makeup (heycup) with Miss Adina and snuggling all the little babies.

9) I've learned that it is really hard to go back to school once you've taken a year off. Home is so comfortable, especially for someone like me who LOVES small-town, farm-life living. But, I now understand and appreciate the importance of an education, and I am really excited for college - definitely more excited than the first time around.



10) I've learned (and this is possibly the most important thing) that no matter where I go or what I do in life, Kittson County isn't going anywhere. It'll be right there waiting for me when I come back, whenever that is.

Love,

Kalli

7 comments:

  1. Love ya Kalli - one of my favorite blog posts for sure. you nailed a bunch of important things :) And i love your #10. I don't know if I will ever be back for good, but I love knowing I can always "come home".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Randali! LOVE YA TOO! :) and yes, you're right!

      Delete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes! You did what I should have done-not that I regret taking the road I did! Even though I "Left" 21 years ago, Kittson County will always be home! Best of luck....you will do great. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kalli, you will be great at whatever you do in life.. it was nice to see you and visit with you last night and I wish you nothing but luck on your 2nd college attempt.. as my Willie would say, "I got this!" And you do have this and you will rock it! Thank you for the blog you had some very important points! Good luck and I am sure we will see you around.. hopefully around the pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandie, thank you! It was wonderful visiting with you last night as well...I'll keep Willie's words with me :)

      Delete